Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) is a non-profit organization that seeks to foster awareness of and support for democracy and human rights in Bahrain and the Arabian Gulf Region. We are searching for a dynamic individual eager to facilitate and support ADHRB’s communications work to foster greater awareness and publicity regarding human rights in the region. The individual will play a critical role in supporting ADHRB’s press relations, growing the organization’s social media presence, and curating dynamic and efficient press lists. This position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Executive Director.
Communications Fellows will:
- Develop and implement the communications and media strategy for ADHRB and its organizational initiatives;
- Manage ADHRB’s media relations and communications, including the website, weekly newsletter, and social media accounts;
- Effectively strategize with ADHRB staff to disseminate key institutional deliverables—reports, op-eds, press releases, policy briefs—to appropriate media outlets and other relevant audience;
- Edit, package, and place op-eds and assist as needed in the drafting and editing of other written products to maintain publicity goals;
- Manage media requests, including electronic media, television, radio, print, and other general press inquiries;
- Develop and oversee, in coordination with staff, special projects requiring press or marketing, including campaigns, videos, and other multimedia;
- Manage production of all marketing and promotional materials for ADHRB;
- Advise on strategic messaging and long-term planning;
- Copyedit and revise all communications as needed;
- Recommend and maintain website design and operation to optimize functionality;
- Track and document analytics for all media and communications platforms in order to develop strategies on how best to grow outreach;
- Perform administrative and other duties as required.
- Manage interns as needs require.
Requirements and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a recent M.A. in communications or a related field;
- Demonstrate excellent writing, editorial, oral communication, and presentation skills;
- Show versatility in writing for all media platforms;
- Possess highly adept skills in managing multiple social media accounts, especially Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram;
- Exhibit the skills necessary for maintaining and enhancing webpages to promote readership;
- Have experience with creating multimedia products and social media promotion;
- Be an adept team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Work well under deadlines; and
- Be able to commit to 40 hours/week for 9 months of employment.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights consistent with the mission of ADHRB.
- Experience working on grassroots organizing or a political campaign.
- Knowledge of the Middle East developed from experience.
- Working knowledge of Arabic.
The Communications Fellowship is a paid fellowship position. ADHRB is happy to host fellows that may receive additional outside funding from third-party grants or fellowships.
To apply, please email:
- Your resume or CV;
- A cover letter;
- A writing sample (10 pages max.);
- A list of three professional references, which identify their relationship to you and contact information.
Please send your application materials to jobs[at]adhrb.org with “Communications Fellow” in the subject line.