Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) is seeking creative, organized, passionate, and hard-working applicants for a six month Advocacy Internship based in Paris, France. We are happy to work with students seeking academic course credit for their work. This is a remote, unpaid internship that reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Research human rights crises and issues in the Arab Gulf region and their relations to the international human rights legal framework;
- Draft policy papers and advocacy letters to support ADHRB’s mission;
- Assist in ADHRB’s preparations for engaging with the United Nations Human Rights Council;
- Attend and report on events, briefings, and other relevant meetings during legislative and parliamentary sessions;
- Attend meetings with international and national actors to discuss human rights in Bahrain;
- Attend meetings with policymakers to discuss human rights in Bahrain and the Arab Gulf region;
- Organize events and panels at local universities and in parliament to brief policymakers, NGO partners, and members of the public;
- Strengthen national NGO partnerships through regular coordination and cooperation;
- Support social media activities and provide administrative support where needed.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will be currently enrolled in a graduate program and have an undergraduate degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law, or a related field with:
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Motivation, strong organizational skills, and ability to be self-starting;
- Familiarity with UN human rights mechanisms;
- Proficiency at Microsoft Office and social media platforms, in particular Twitter;
- A demonstrated interest in the Middle East and North Africa, or democracy and human rights promotion;
- Ability to commit to 20 hours per week.
Languages and Location
- Candidates must be fluent in written and spoken English;
- Additional skills in Arabic and other UN official languages are an asset;
- Candidates must be based in Paris and be fluent in written and spoken French.
How to apply
For more information about ADHRB, see www.adhrb.org.
Interested in the position?
Please send us your CV and cover letter in PDF format named SURNAME_Name_CV-CL to [email protected] with subject line European Advocacy Intern.