Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) is seeking creative, organized, passionate, and hard-working applicants for our Advocacy Internship position for the Spring (January 2018 – May 2018). We are happy to work with students seeking academic course credit for their work. The internship is unpaid.
- Track and report on US federal legislation, government policies, and statements pertaining to the human rights situation in Bahrain and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states;
- Research and draft legislative fact sheets and other Hill-related materials;
- Attend and report on hearings, briefings, and other meetings in DC to facilitate ADHRB’s work;
- Assist with advocacy campaigns by conducting research and preparing background memos and other written materials;
- Track Bahrain and GCC-related news, legislation, and statements by global policymakers, the European Parliament, and United Nations officials on a daily basis;
- Assist in social media campaigns and the drafting of external communications, including blog posts, editorial pieces, and informative backgrounders;
- Support lengthy analytical external reports through research and writing;
- Engage in community outreach with student organizations, constituent communities, and relevant faith-based communities;
- Support the mobilization of grassroots on the issue of human rights in Bahrain and the GCC;
- Prepare updates for the website and other media-related materials; and
- Assist with administrative duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will be a graduate student, law student, or recent graduate from undergrad with:
- Creativity and ingenuity;
- Superb writing skills;
- Experience working/interning on Capitol Hill or for a non-profit organization;
- Interest in and knowledge of human rights issues, particularly with respect to freedom of speech, expression, and association, due process rights, and/or prisoners’ rights;
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment and discretion;
- Solid organizational and time-management skills;
- Commitment to ADHRB’s mission; and
- Ability to commit to 24-40 hours per week. (Full-time availability preferred)
Additional skills that are also highly desirable include:
- Arabic and French language skills
- Experience using social media in a professional capacity (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- Photoshop, video editing and/or other graphic design experience
- Demonstrated research experience (especially related to the Middle East, human rights, democratization, governance, and political rights)
- Experience building and executing grassroots outreach/advocacy campaigns
How to apply
Please email a resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample (5 pages max.; excerpts are fine) with the subject line ‘Advocacy Internship’ to internships [at] adhrb.org.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. There are a limited number of positions, so early applications are encouraged.