The European Center for Democracy and Human Rights (ECDHR) is a non-profit organisation based in Brussels that seeks to foster awareness of and support for democracy and human rights in Bahrain and other Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries. The ECDHR advocates for the rights of individuals in the Gulf to key actors within the EU governments, the international community, and the general public.
ECDHR is seeking creative, organized, passionate, and hard-working applicants for a six month Advocacy Volunteership, running from July/August 2019 through December 2019/January 2020. Through this program, volunteers can expect to gain valuable hands-on international advocacy experience.
Through this program, interns can expect to gain valuable hands-on advocacy experience, domestic and international. Volunteers will engage with members of the European parliament, as well as non-governmental organizations and will learn how to request and prepare for meetings with policy makers and civil society organizations. We are happy to work with students seeking academic course credit for their work. This is a remote, unpaid internship that reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Research human rights crises and issues in the Arab Gulf region and their relations to the international human rights legal framework;
- Research, analyze, and synthesize information and data about the human rights situation in Bahrain and the Gulf and the EU and Member States positioning to accurately document violations and implement advocacy initiatives;
- Organize events and panels at local universities and in parliament to brief policymakers, NGO partners, and members of the public;
- Develop and strengthen relationships with the NGO and think tank community;
- Compile reports, white papers, briefing memos, letters, and other advocacy materials;
- Assist with outreach to the European Parliament, EU Member States, the European External Action Service (EEAS), and United Nations officials;
- Attend and report on events, briefings, and other relevant meetings during legislative and parliamentary sessions;
- Assist with administrative duties as needed;
- Support social media activities and provide administrative support where needed.
Qualifications and Skills:
The ideal candidate will be currently enrolled in a graduate program and have an undergraduate degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law, or a related field with:
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Motivation, strong organizational skills, and ability to be self-starting;
- Proficiency at Microsoft Office and social media platforms, in particular Twitter;
- An interest in the Middle East and North Africa, or democracy and human rights promotion;
- Ability to commit to full time and 40 hours per week.
Languages and Location
- Candidates must be fluent in written and spoken English;
- Candidates must be based in Brussels.
How to apply
For more information about ECDHR, see www.ecdhr.org.
Interested in the position?
Please send us your CV and cover letter in PDF format named SURNAME_Name_CV-CL to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line Brussels Advocacy Intern.