*** On Saturday 27 July 2019, the Government of Bahrain executed 25-year-old Ali AlArab and 24-year-old Ahmed AlMalali, along with a third individual. Read ADHRB’s statement on the executions here.
On 18 June 2019, Roger Nordmann, a Swiss Member of Parliament, wrote a letter to Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa AlKhalifa on behalf of his political party, the Swiss Socialdemocratic Group in the Swiss Parliament. In the letter, Nordmann and his political party called on the king to:
- Commute the death sentences of Ahmad AlMalali and Ali AlArab, citing concerns that both individuals were mistreated and forced to confess under torture
- Immediately impose a moratorium on the death penalty’s continued use
- Commute all outstanding death sentences to terms of imprisonment
- Conduct a comprehensive review of Bahrain’s death row
- Allow victims of human rights abuses to receive redress
Click here for a PDF of the letter.