Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) is seeking creative, organized, passionate, and hard-working applicants for a six month Advocacy Internship based in Madrid, Spain. We are happy to work with students seeking academic course credit for their work. This is a remote, unpaid internship that reports directly to the Executive Director. Applicants must be based in Madrid.
- Research human rights crises and issues in Bahrain and the Arab Gulf region and their relations to the international human rights legal framework;
- Draft policy papers and advocacy letters to support ADHRB’s mission;
- Assist in ADHRB’s preparations for engaging with Parliamentary Advocacy;
- Attend and report on events, briefings, and other relevant meetings during legislative and parliamentary sessions;
- Attend meetings with international and national actors to discuss human rights in Bahrain;
- Attend meetings with policymakers to discuss human rights in Bahrain and the Arab Gulf and the GCC region;
- Organize events and panels at local universities and in parliament to brief policymakers, NGO partners, and members of the public;
- Strengthen national NGO partnerships through regular coordination and cooperation;
- Support social media activities and provide administrative support where needed.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will be currently enrolled in a graduate program and have an undergraduate degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law, or a related field with:
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Motivation, strong organizational skills, and ability to be self-starting;
- Familiarity with UN human rights mechanisms;
- Proficiency at Microsoft Office and social media platforms, in particular Twitter;
- A demonstrated interest in the Middle East and North Africa, or democracy and human rights promotion;
- Ability to commit to 40 hours per week.
Languages, Location, and Condistions
- Candidates must be fluent in written and spoken English;
- Candidates must be based in Madrid and be fluent in written and spoken Spanish;
- This is a full time six months unpaid position based on ADHRB’s successful International Advocacy Program;
- ADHRB works with different University and Institutions for academic credit
- ADHRB does not have an office in Madrid
- This position is open for April/May/June
How to apply
For more information about ADHRB, see www.adhrb.org.
Interested in the position?
Please send us your CV and cover letter in PDF format named SURNAME_Name_CV-CL to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line European Advocacy Intern-Madrid.