Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) is seeking creative, organized, passionate, and hard-working applicants for a full-time, six-month Advocacy Internship/Legal Fellowship , based in Geneva, Switzerland. Through this program, interns can expect to gain valuable hands-on international advocacy experience, in particular knowledge of the United Nations and its mechanisms, including the Human Rights Council, the Special Procedures, and UN treaty bodies. We are happy to work with students seeking academic course credit for their work. This is unpaid internship, the applicant must be based in Geneva or have the ability to relocate to Geneva.
Starting date: June/July/August 2022
Duration: Six months
Occupational rate: 40 hours per week/full time
Location: Palais des Nations – NGO Office, Geneva, Switzerland
- Conduct research on regionally focused human rights crises and their relations to the international human rights legal framework;
- Assist in preparations for sessions of the United Nations Human Rights Council;
- During the Human Rights Council sessions, attend state and UN Special Procedure meetings;
- Deliver oral interventions in front of the Council on human rights issues of importance in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and the Gulf Cooperation Council states;
- Attend and report on events, briefings, and other relevant meetings both during;
- sessions of the Human Rights Council and between sessions of the Council;
- Support senior staff during the Council, including through social media engagement, outreach to diplomatic state missions and representatives, and through assisting in the preparations for panels and side events;
- Draft policy papers and advocacy letters in support of the advocacy team;
- Support social media activities and provide administrative support where needed.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Self-starting, motivated to learn, and highly organized;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Twitter;
- An interest in the MENA region.
- Undergraduate degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law or related field;
- Current enrolled in a graduate program;
- Graduate degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law or related field.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
How to apply:
Interested in this position?
For more information about ADHRB, see: www.adhrb.org
Please send us your CV and cover letter in PDF format named as SURNAME_Name_CV-CL to firstname.lastname@example.org with Geneva Advocacy Volunteer in the subject line.