Americans for Democracy & Human Rights in Bahrain (ADHRB) is a non-profit organization that seeks to foster awareness of and support for democracy and human rights in Bahrain and the Arabian Gulf by advocating for the rights of the Bahraini people to key actors within the U.S. government, the international community, and the general public.
ADHRB seeks a dynamic and experienced Advocacy Associate ready to help plan and execute advocacy strategies that advance support for human rights in the Arabian Gulf, as the organization seeks to expand its advocacy work to Gulf countries outside of Bahrain. This position reports to the Executive Director and Director of Advocacy.
BA, MA Preferred
This is not an entry level position
Outreach to the NGO and Think Tank Community/U.S. Government
- Serve as primary point of contact for interactions with U.S. Congress and Executive Branch officials, NGOs and think tanks, as well as with key missions and other mechanisms at the U.N.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with the NGO and think tank community; Represent ADHRB at coalition meetings, conferences and events
- Track and report on legislation in the U.S. Congress, U.S. government policies, and actions at the U.N. pertaining to the Gulf region
- Prepare talking points, written testimony, fact sheets, and other background materials for engagement with the U.S. Congress and other government entities
- Organize delegation visits to Washington, D.C. and New York
- Attend relevant events to keep up with the latest policy developments and to represent ADHRB’s interests
- Monitor human rights abuses and other developments in the Arabian Gulf, particularly as they relate to ADHRB’s advocacy and government affairs outreach
- Develop and execute coordinated NGO advocacy campaigns addressing human rights and policy issues in the Arabian Gulf
- Develop and execute legislative and advocacy strategies that advance support for democracy and human rights in the Arabian Gulf
- Research, analyze, and synthesize information and data about the human rights situation in the Arabian Gulf to accurately document violations and develop advocacy initiatives
- Research and author reports, white papers, briefing memos, letters, and other advocacy materials
- Hire and manage 1-2 Advocacy interns
Qualifications and Skills:
- 1-3 years of experience
- BA required; an MA in international relations, international law, public policy, or related field a plus
- Prior experience working for a congressional office or in a government affairs and/or advocacy capacity is desired
- Demonstrated experience with online advocacy, research and report writing preferred
- A proven track record of strong project management, including planning and execution of advocacy strategies
- Ability to prioritize, implement and deliver high-quality advocacy programs, sometimes within tight timelines and with minimal supervision
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to thrive in a collaborative working environment
- Strong knowledge of the Gulf region and human rights preferred
- Arabic language skills are a plus, but not required
How to apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Advocacy Associate for the Arabian Gulf” in the subject line.